Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Early Years of My Career and What I've Learned Along the Way


Learn, Observe, Listen


In 1977 I decided I wanted to be a business owner. As a young child, I was inspired by my parents and was taught I could be successful at anything I put my mind to. I once read somewhere, "To be truly successful in life, you need to find something you're good at doing and do it. And if God is smiling on you, it'll be something you enjoy doing."

Well, I was good at typing, thanks to years of piano lessons. That was a start. I was also intrigued by everything law. It occurred to me that court reporting might be something I'd be good at. I didn't know any different, so I dove in and "started a business." What the heck was I even thinking?? Of course I made mistakes, but I was honorable, hardworking, and determined to provide the best service possible. I have learned a lot along the way, not the least of which is to take yourself seriously, YOU are a business. Not having a site "on land" (as an independent service provider) doesn't mean you're not providing a viable, valuable service.

My best advice is: Learn...everything there is to learn about your profession, don't look to make a dollar every second you're learning (that'll come later); Observe...what works and what doesn't; and Listen...to what clients want, not what you think they want.

The way service professionals perform their duties sure has changed a lot through the decades. It is an exciting time. To those starting out in their careers, I wish you all the best of luck. (Remember: Learn, Observe, Listen... LOL. And try to laugh a little along the way.)


“Successful people are not gifted.  They just work hard and succeed on purpose.”—G.K.Nielson
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment